Hot Cocoa Mix

• 4 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
  • 1-1/2 to 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer (coffee lightener like Creamora)
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 package of instant store-bought chocolate OR vanilla pudding mix (optional, but very good)

Measure all of the ingredients into a dry clean bowl. Use a whisk to sort of stir everything together. If the cocoa clumps up, smash the little balls with a fork. When everything is evenly distributed, transfer the Hot Cocoa Mix to a clean coffee can, or a sealed canister. Use 2 cups of sugar if you are making this for kids. The extra sweetness makes it especially kid-friendly. For grown-ups you could add 1/4 cup of instant coffee for a nice mocha flavor.

To Prepare: Spoon 1/3 cup of the hot cocoa mix into a cup or mug. Add boiling water to the top, stir and serve.

This stuff tastes really, really good. It is great for cold weather when you’ve been out sledding or picking apples. If you go camping, bring along a big bag of this stuff. It tastes best when sipped from inside a sleeping bag on a cool October morning, in the middle of the woods. Life just doesn’t get any better than this. :-)

To hot for hot cocoa? How about some homemade ice tea instead. I’m sure your family will enjoy this frugal beverage as much as mine does.

The Hillbilly Housewife Recommends

homemade-mixes-kindleHomemade Mixes – Make It Yourself and Save

Making your own mix from scratch rather than buying it in the store not only saves you money but also saves you from all the additives and preservatives that are put in the foods we buy.

Find out how easy it is to make your own seasonings, baking mixes, beverage mixes and more in this HBHW Kindle Cookbook.

The recipes include:

Fruited Oatmeal Mix
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
Homemade Vanilla Chai Tea Mix

Articles From The Hillbilly Housewife

Making Ice Cream Without An Ice Cream Maker

How To Make Ice Cream Without An Ice Cream Maker

If you don’t have an ice cream maker, don’t fret.  You can make ice cream at home without the aid of either a hand-cranked machine or an electric ice cream maker. How?  All you need is a freezer, and a little muscle. Here’s how to do it. This will work with any ice cream recipe. […]

St. Peter Church - Merzig, Germany

The Trip To Germany

This week’s article is more of a personal blog post about our trip to Germany. I thought it would be fun to share a few pictures with you of my town, the grocery stores and a few sights around the area. I hope you’ll enjoy taking this little trip with me. Let’s start with the […]

Darn Good & Dang Tasty ebook

Darn Good & Dang Tasty – Healthy Food Does’t Have To Taste Bad

My friend Tracy from MomsinaBlog.com put together a wonderful new cookbook full of healthy recipes that taste great. I asked her to share her thoughts and inspiration for writing the book along with some recipes with you. Enjoy and don’t forget to check out Darn Good & Dang Tasty.  Oftentimes when we think of eating […]

Cast Iron Skillet

How To Season and Re-Season Cast Iron Cookware

The following is a small excerpt from “The Hillbilly Housewife’s Cast Iron Cookbook“. It’s the most frequent question I get about cooking with cast iron skillets.  Over time, cast iron cookware develops a thin protective coating known as “seasoning” from the natural fats and oils associated with the cooking process. This coating fills in all […]

crockpot Collage

Slow Cooker Reviews

I’m a big fan of crockpot cooking. No matter how busy I get or how much running around town I’ve got to do, I know a yummy home-cooked meal will be ready when we get home. As you know, I’ve recently written and published a Kindle cookbook of Chicken Crockpot recipes. It’s been very well […]

Comments

• The Hillbilly Housewife says

Use the small box of instant pudding, Jen. It’s really just for a touch of flavor and smoothness.

1. Jennifer says

This recipe is Awesome! Just as good; if not better then any store bought and a lot cheaper to make then buy! I use French Vanilla Flavored creamer and it gives it a marshmallow kick. My kids love it and request it often. Thanks So Much!

2. Pat says

Are the non-dairy creamers high in saturated fat or trans fat? Is there a substitute for that? I would love a homemade hot cocoa recipe using cocoa and powdered milk. I haven’t found one yet.

• Stephanie says

Pat, here is a recipe for hot cocoa with cocoa and powdered milk.
      1 c. powdered milk
      1/4 c. cocoa
      3-4 T. granulated sugar
      dash salt
      3 C. water
      1/2 t. vanilla extract
      In a saucepan, combine powdered milk, cocoa, sugar, and salt. Gradually stir in water and heat to boiling. Lower heat and simmer 2-3 min., stirring constantly. Add vanilla. Enjoy.

I hope that this helps.

3. Sara says

I used a small box of chocolate and a small box of vanilla pudding mix because I wasn’t sure how much to use…I didn’t scroll down to read the comments before I made it! LOL But, the results were fabulous!!

4. Cindy says

My hot cocoa recipe is very similar–although I will try the pudding for added flavor and texture. I would just put in 5 cups of powdered milk and just not add the creamer. I just use powdered milk in mine and no creamer. Perhaps add the French Vanilla pudding along with the chocolate pudding to add a little something extra. I can see some experimentation in my near future ;)

5. Lynn says

I just made some (it’s more like a lot!) of this. The first batch I did tasted kinda off, so the second batch I did I added the chocolate pudding to in and stuck it in the blender. Tastes way better than Swiss Miss!

6. Tara says

My mom used to make this for me and my 3 brothers when we were young and she would put a bag of miniature marshmallows in the mix also. YUMMY

7. says

I have made this a few times and my family is hooked on it. I like that it uses regular sugar and cocoa powder rather than Quik and powdered sugar. When I make it for gift jars I also add a handful of mini chocolate chips and call it Triple Choco Cocoa Mix.

8. christina says

This is soooo yummy! I made this for Christmas gifts and and put it in plastic Christmas themed buckets (2 for 1.00 at dollar tree) and added some mini marshmallows on top.I also wrote the recipe on a card so they can make it again.My kids love it and my family and friends thought it was awesome as well. I will never ever buy store bought again. I used one batch with choc pudding and one with vanilla. We liked the vanilla best but both were great. The vanilla gives it a slightly different flavor that I love. For a smaller gift-i put some in a mason jar and tied a little Christmas fabric around the lid and it was really cute! Thank you!!!

9. Amanda says

Thanks so much for the delicious recipe!! The first batch didn’t last us long. Then there was a slight panic in my house when I couldn’t find where I had written the recipe down, we looked everywhere! Thank goodness I was able to find your website again after a long search!

10. Debbie says

I’m looking for a recipe that is for white hot cocoa mix. I can’t have a lot of chocolate. I like the sound of this recipe but was wondering if I should use a large box of pudding instead of the small since I have to leave out the cocoa. Also, I’m wanting to add crushed peppermint sticks to the recipe. How many of those do you think would be the right amount to use.?

11. Rochelle says

This sounds really good. My dd loves hot chocolate or swiss miss. I am looking for a way to substitute using carob. Any ideas how to do this? Can It be mixed just with hot water in a cup the same way?