Tea Parties Are Perfect for Mother’s Day
Mother’s Day is the perfect time to plan a tea for you and your daughter, your family, friends, or even the ladies in your church group. Any tea could be made even more special with a theme.
Usually, simple is better because it’s easier and ends up actually more elegant. If you don’t have a full tea set sitting around, don’t worry. Remember; simple is better. You can find some very nice cups, saucers and tea pots in places like Goodwill or other thrift stores for very little money. Mix and match is not only fun, it’s very elegant. You could even ask everyone to bring their own special cup just for the occasion, perhaps a mother’s or grandmother’s favorite cup. What a special tribute on Mother’s Day. Let’s look at a couple themes:
This can be a special time for moms with older daughters. Simple decorations with a single flower arrangement to grace the table alongside tea cups and saucers can be pleasing to the eye as well as the heart. Finger sandwiches, cookies, and scones finish the menu. For a special treat, have the mothers and daughters write a note or letter to each other sharing a special memory or attribute about each other.
Mommy & Me
For moms of younger girls this theme would be really cute. The moms could dress elegantly and the girls could emulate their mother’s style by rummaging through a trunk (or Goodwill) with dresses, shoes, gloves, and jewelry so they could look just like mom. Include cookies or simple finger foods. Remember at this age group to keep the tea varied, and probably sweet. Have the invitations ask the children to bring a stuffed animal guest to share the table.
Beach Time Tea
With Mother’s Day being celebrated in May, just prior to the official summer season, why not take the opportunity to serve flavored iced tea instead? Use iced tea glasses instead of tea cups and serve typical summer appetizers. Have everyone dress in straw hats, sunglasses and flip-flops or sandals in anticipation of the warmer weather.
What would a tea party be without perfect tea?
Of course, part of the perfect tea party is the perfect tea. Here are the instructions for brewing a ‘proper’ pot of tea:
- Fill a serving style tea pot with tap water to warm it up prior to adding tea leaves and boiling water.
- Fill stove-top tea kettle with fresh, cold, non-distilled water.
- Place kettle on stove and bring to boil.
- Just before kettle begins to boil, pour water from tea pot and add one teaspoon tea leaves per cup to pot, plus an additional teaspoon for the pot.
- Remove kettle from heat right after it comes to a boil and pour 6 ounces per cup into tea pot.
- Let tea steep 3 – 7 minutes depending on desired strength.
- While tea steeps, it is proper to determine who will be ‘mother’ and serve.
- Add cold, whole milk, or lemon to tea cups depending on preference of guests.
- Pour tea into cups using a strainer to catch loose leaves.
Tea Steeping Tips:
- Use a ceramic tea pot for serving rather than metal. Metal can affect the taste of the tea and will cool the water more quickly.
- Keep boiling water available for second cups and to dilute tea that becomes strong while sitting in tea pot.
- Rinse out the tea kettle and start with fresh, cold tap water. Never boil anything but water in your tea kettle.
- Bring the water to its first rolling boil. Never over boil. Over boiling takes the oxygen out of the water, which in turn creates a flat beverage.
- Take the teapot to the tea kettle and rinse out the pot with the boiling water from the kettle. Never take the kettle to the teapot, as you lose one degree of heat per second. Water for tea should be 212 degrees.
- Use one teabag or teaspoon of loose tea per cup. Leaves enter the warm teapot and the infusion begins when the leaf opens.
- Allow the tea to brew for three to five minutes, according to the blend of tea and how strong you like it.
If you’re looking for a change of pace or want to start a new tradition this Mother’s Day consider a tea party. The tiniest elegance will make for a very special day. Even if it’s just tea-for-two, you and your daughter, it will be a memorable day.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!