Sweet and Spicy Chicken Thighs
Chicken thighs are on sale at my local grocery store this week. In the past I’ve cooked them with just a little oil and seasoning salt, but I was looking for something a little different this week. I came across this video and thought I’d share.
And here’s the recipe. With a dish like this I recommend experimenting with the seasonings, in particular the peppers. If you know you’re not a big fan of spicy food, cut those amounts in half and adjust from there.
To keep things frugal, use whatever mustard and vinegar you have on hand and give this a try when you can find chicken thighs on sale.
- 8-10 chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground dry chipotle
- cayenne to taste
- 1 onion sliced into rings
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- vegetable oil for the pan and top of chicken
- Cut two slits in the top of each thigh. Combine all other ingredients except onion and vegetable oil to make a marinate. Marinate the chicken overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and scatter the onion rings on it. Add the marinated chicken on top and cook for 35 to 40 minutes. Save the pan drippings and if desired, reduce them and spoon it over the chicken.
- [img src=”http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/sweetandspicychickenthighs-300×194.jpg” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”194″ class=”alignright size-medium wp-image-23163″]
Since my daughter doesn’t like anything too spicy, I plan on cutting down on the cayenne pepper and skipping the chipotle. I’m going to serve this with cooked rice and cucumber slices.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.