Brown And Wild Rice Fruit Mix – Gifts In A Jar
- 1/2 cup UNCOOKED long grain brown rice
- 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 2 tsp brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup UNCOOKED wild rice
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
Wash and dry a 1 pint food jar, such as a canning jar, with a good lid. Get out a food-safe plastic storage bag.
Starting with the first ingredient, layer in the jar, with the wild rice being your last ingredient (ending up at the top.)
In the plastic food bag, put the remaining ingredients, shake, and either zip the bag closed or tie it tightly with a piece of butcher twine, or other food-safe string. Trim the top of the bag after tying it closed if necessary to make it look nice.
Carefully place the plastic food bag with the fruit in it on top of the ingredients in the jar, screw on lid tightly.
Cover the top of the lid with pretty fabric if you wish and tie a piece of raffia or yarn or ribbon around for decoration.
Now you’ll want to supply a tag with your gift explaining the preparation steps and the ingredients needed to make the rice dish. Here are the directions to include:
|Brown And Wild Rice Fruit Mix – Gift In A Jar||
- 1 jar Brown And Wild Rice Fruit Mix
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Take the plastic food bag containing dried fruit out of jar and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, put the water, butter, and the dried mix from the jar.
- Put on medium-high heat, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Cover saucepan with lid, turn heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes or until the rice is almost cooked.
- Add the orange juice and the dried fruit from the bag to the rice mixture in saucepan, stir, and continue simmering over low heat (uncovered) for about 15 minutes or until rice is totally cooked.
- Fluff with a fork and serve hot.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.