Simple Overnight Oatmeal
We’re getting back into a school routine and I’m looking for simple breakfast dishes I can prepare ahead of time. Overnight oatmeal is perfect for doing just that. I put it together after doing the dinner dishes and stick it in the fridge. I use a covered bowl, but mason jars and other containers work as well. Just make sure you have something to cover it with. By morning there’s yummy oatmeal ready to eat. Just add whatever toppings you and your kids like and a healthy, filling breakfast is served.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of plain yogurt
- Mix everything in a bowl, cover it and set it in the fridge overnight. Add a little sugar, honey or sweetener the next morning if needed and top with your favorite toppings.
- [img src=”http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/overnight-oatmeal-300×200.jpg” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”200″ class=”aligncenter size-medium wp-image-23274″]
Here are a few of the things we like to add to our oatmeal in the morning. Everyone get’s to add exactly what they like.
- fresh fruit (like sliced bananas or strawberries)
- frozen fruit (blueberries work great.)
- dried fruit (raisins and cranberries are a favorite)
- nuts and seeds
- granola for a little extra crunch
- peanut or almond butter
- a little sugar if needed for extra sweetness
- jam or jelly
You can also mix things up by using different flavors of yogurt when you’re making the oatmeal.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.