Sausage Breakfast Casserole – Overnight Recipe
I love fixing breakfast casseroles on the weekend. My favorites are overnight ones that I can assemble the night before, store in the fridge and then pop in the oven in the morning. I’ve been sharing a few of these here on the HBHW website and in my Breakfast Casserole Kindle Cookbook. This recipe below has a nice little kick to it. For even more flavor, replace 1 cup of the cheddar cheese with a spicier kind like pepper jack or a jalapeno flavored cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese. As with any recipe, try some things and make it your own.
I love the little kick the green chillies give this recipe. If you are not a big fan (or your kids don’t like anything spicy), you can leave them out or try this sausage casserole recipe instead.
|Easy Overnight Breakfast Casserole||
- 6 slices of old bread
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pack breakfast sausage
- 1 4 oz can green chiles
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- dash of paprika
- dash of oregano
- dash of black pepper
- Start by cutting the crust of the bread. Butter each side and lay them in the bottom of your casserole dish.
- Brown the sausage and drain any grease off. I like to also pour it on some paper towels to remove even more grease.
- Pour the cheese over the bread slices, then top it with the cooked sausage.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings in a small bowl and pour it over the bread, cheese and sausage.
- Sprinkle the chiles on top of everything.
- Cover the casserole dish and store it in the fridge overnight.
- the next morning, preheat your oven and bake it at 350F for an hour.
This casserole is best when you assemble it the night before and bake it in the morning (as outlined in the recipe above). All the flavors get a chance to blend together and the egg mixture gets completely absorbed by the bread. That being said, you can also bake it up right away. Just start by preheating your oven, then put the casserole together and bake as directed.
For more delicious breakfast casserole recipes, get a copy of my latest Kindle book. Inside you’ll find 35 recipes your family will love including:
Ham, Hash Brown and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
French Toast Breakfast Casserole
Sugar Free French Toast Breakfast Casserole
French Toast Breakfast Casserole – Syrup on the Bottom Version
Apples and Raisins French Toast Breakfast Casserole
Peach French Toast Breakfast Casserole
Sunday Morning Breakfast Casserole
Cheese Grits Breakfast Casserole
Spinach and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
All-in-One Breakfast Casserole
What a perfect way to start your morning. Get Breakfast Casseroles – 35 Recipes for Everyday & Special Occasions today.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.