Onion Ring Recipe
I love fall. It’s getting cooler and of course there’s football. I’m not the worlds biggest fan, but it’s nice to curl up on the couch with my husband to watch the game. A few weeks ago he mentioned that he missed hanging out with a beer and an order of onion rings to watch the game, I decided to make up a batch for us. It took some trial and error, but I finally came up with something that’s just as good as the onion rings you get at your favorite pub or sports bar.
- 1 to 2 onions
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for frying
- Start by heating the oil. You can use a deep fryer or a sturdy pot and a thermometer. Heat the oil to 365 F. If you don’t have a thermometer, you can heat the oil over medium heat and once the better is ready, drop a little bit of it in the oil. If it fries up quickly, bubbles and turns golden brown it’s the right heat.
- While the oil is heating, slice the onions into thick slices. About 1/4 of an inch is good. Separate them into rings.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Drop each onion ring in the flour mixture and turn it over to make sure it is well coated. Set the onion rings aside.
- Mix the egg and milk in with the flour and stir everything together to form a smooth batter.
- Dip each onion ring into the batter. I use a fork for this. Let any excess batter drip off, then coat the onion ring in bread crumbs. From there gently side the onion ring into the hot oil and work on the next one.
- Keep an eye on the onion ring that’s frying. You want to let it go for about a minute and then flip it over and fry it for another minute or so. When the onion ring is golden brown, take it out of the oil and set it on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Keep frying the onion rings a few at a time until the whole batch is done. Sprinkle them with a little salt and serve right away.
- [url href=”http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/onion-rings.jpg”][img src=”http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/onion-rings.jpg” alt=”” width=”426″ height=”282″ class=”aligncenter size-full wp-image-23409″][/url]
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.