Fried Chicken and Creamy Gravy
Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2- to 3- pound cut-up broiler-fryer chicken
- Vegetable oil
- Creamy Gravy (below)
- CREAMY GRAVY:
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Coat chicken with flour mixture.
2. Heat oil (1/4 inch) in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Cook chicken in oil until light brown on all sides, about 10 minutes; reduce heat. Cover tightly and simmer, turning once or twice, until thickest pieces are done and juices of chicken run clear, about 35 minutes. If skillet cannot be covered tightly, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water.
3. Remove cover during the last 5 minutes of cooking to crisp chicken. Remove chicken; keep warm. Prepare Creamy Gravy; serve with chicken.
For Creamy Gravy
1. Pour drippings from skillet into bowl, leaving brown particles in skillet. Return 2 tablespoons drippings to skillet. Stir in flour.
2. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in a few drops browning sauce, if desired. Stir in salt and pepper.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.