French Style Roast Beef
Makes 8 servings
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast or rolled rump
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove large garlic, cut into fourths
- 6 whole cloves
- 5 peppercorns
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, cut crosswise in half
- 2 medium onions, cut into fourths
- 2 medium turnips, cut into fourths
- 2 medium stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
Place beef roast, salt, thyme, bay leaf, garlic, cloves and peppercorns in 4-quart Dutch oven; add water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 2 1/2 hours. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender. Remove beef; cut into 1/4-inch slices. Serve vegetables with beef. Strain broth; serve with beef and vegetables.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.