Crockpot Sweet Potato and Apple Soup
Earlier this week I shared a recipe for a loaded backed potato soup that cooks in the slow cooker that’s been a big hit this fall. Today I have another potato soup for you, but this one includes some sweet potatoes and apples. The combination makes for a great soup that fills you up and is packed with nutrients. Give it a try. I serve this with some toasted ham sandwiches for dinner. The soup would also make a nice light lunch, or a great first course if you’re entertaining this fall.
I hope you and your family will enjoy this tasty soup as much as we have. The key to ending up with a nice smooth soup is to blend it well once it’s done cooking. You can do this in batches in your blender, or use an immersion blender (my favorite way to do it) right in the crockpot.
- 1 small onion
- 2 white potatoes
- 3 Sweet potatoes
- 2 apples, cut into 1 inch pieces with the skin left on
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Start by preparing your veggies and fruit. Scrub the potatoes really well and cut them into one inch chunks.
- Peel the onion and give it a rough chop.
- Core the apples and cut them into one inch pieces as well. I leave the peel on since it will blend into the soup and adds extra nutrition.
- Chop or crush your garlic.
- Add the veggies and fruit along with the salt and spices to your crockpot. Pour the chicken broth over everything.
- Cook the soup on high for 5 hours.
- Puree the hot soup either in batches in your blender or use a hand immersion blender right into your crockpot.
- Stir in the butter and serve.
- [url href=”http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/crockpot-sweetpotato-soup.jpg”][img src=”http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/crockpot-sweetpotato-soup-300×200.jpg” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”200″ class=”aligncenter size-medium wp-image-23520″][/url]
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.