Cornbread Gravy Recipe
I came up money poor and love rich. We did not have much in our home, but when my Momma ,or my Daddy’s Mother, would make this on a Sunday Morning I promise you there was no one in the world who had more than us. Somehow you fry the leftover cornbread (if there is any) and make gravy on it. But can it really be that simple?
From The Hillbilly Housewife
I haven’t had a chance to try this yet, but here’s a recipe that’s been on my “to-cook” list.
|How To Make Gravy With Bacon and Leftover Cornbread||
- 1/2 lb of bacon
- leftover cornbread
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- About 2 cups of water
- 1/2 can evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Get out a good cast iron skillet and fry up the bacon until it is nice and crispy. Remove it from the pan, but leave the grease in.
- Crumble your leftover cornbread into the pan. Add the flour and cook it stirring frequently until the flour just starts to brown (like with any flour based gravy).
- Add the water and milk and stir until it starts to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Crumble up the cooked bacon and add it to your gravy.
- Add a little more water as needed if the gravy starts to get too thick.
Do you have a recipe to share? Leave a comment below.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.