Congressional Bean Soup
This recipe was sent in by Hillbilly Housewife Newsletter subscriber Susan S.
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound dried Navy beans (rinsed and picked over)
- 2 cups diced lean cooked ham
- 1 cup finely chopped celery (we use the leaves too)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. salt (may need more to suit your taste)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add beans and boil gently 2 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand 1 hour. Pour all, including liquid, into a slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH all day until beans are very soft.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.