Cheese & Grits Breakfast Casserole
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
My husband grew up on sausage and grits in the morning. While a microwave sausage patty and instant grits will do during the week, this weekend version is a real treat. It’s good home-cooking, perfect for a cozy family weekend, but pretty enough to serve at a brunch.
This is also perfect for church or potluck breakfasts and lunches. If you’re cooking for a crowd, just double or triple the recipe and assemble in 2 or 3 casserole dishes.
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped finely
- 6 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grits cooked in 4 cups water
- 6 ounces corn muffin mix
- 1 teaspoon any type herb seasoning
- 1/2 pound Colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, sauté the sausage with onion until all the pink is gone.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and then add the milk, cooked grits, corn muffin mix and herb seasoning.
- On the bottom of a 9×12 inch pan, spread the sausage mixture. Add the grits and cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 1 hour and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
The Hillbilly Housewife Recommends:
For more delicious breakfast casserole recipes, get a copy of my bestselling Kindle cookbook. Inside you’ll find 35 recipes your family will love including:
- Ham, Hash Brown and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- French Toast Breakfast Casserole
- Sugar Free French Toast Breakfast Casserole
- French Toast Breakfast Casserole – Syrup on the Bottom Version
- Apples and Raisins French Toast Breakfast Casserole
- Peach French Toast Breakfast Casserole
- Sunday Morning Breakfast Casserole
- Cheese Grits Breakfast Casserole
- Spinach and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- All-in-One Breakfast Casserole
What a perfect way to start your morning. Get Breakfast Casseroles – 35 Recipes for Everyday & Special Occasions today.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!