Caribbean Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
Makes 8 servings
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup light rum or apple juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 large sweet potatoes or yams, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- Tropical Fruit Salsa:
- 1 mango
- 1 papaya
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Prepare Tropical Fruit Salsa. Place chicken in shallow glass or plastic dish. Mix remaining ingredients except sweet potatoes; pour over chicken. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
Brush grill rack with vegetable oil. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Remove chicken from marinade; reserve marinade. Cover and grill chicken 4 to 5 inches from medium heat 10 minutes. Turn chicken; brush with marinade. Add sweet potato slices to grill. Cover and grill chicken and potato slices 10 to 15 minutes, brushing frequently with marinade, until chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut. Discard any remaining marinade. Serve chicken and potato slices with salsa.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.