I always have a few cans of chickpeas in the pantry to add to all sorts of dishes to make them more filling. Here’s one of my summer favorites. It’s a simple salad made with tomatoes and chickpeas (or garbanzo beans).
It goes great with grilled chicken and since there is no mayonnaise in the dressing, it’s a great salad to take to a picnic or cookout.
You can also turn this into a whole meal by adding some chopped chicken or a can of tuna to the salad.
- 1 15½ oz can chick peas
- 4 large tomatoes
- ½ onion
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 to 5 basil leaves
- Drain your chick peas. If you want to cut down on the sodium, give them a quick rinse with water. Put them in a large bowl.
- Core and chop 4 large tomatoes. If they are very ripe, you may also want to scoop or squeeze out some of the seeds. Add them to the bowl.
- Dice your onion and add it as well.
- Mix the lemon juice and olive oil together and season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients.
- Cut the basil into thin strips and scatter over the salad
For more delicious tomato recipes, check out The Tomato Cookbook on Amazon Kindle.