Texas Chili Con Carne
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affilate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds beef chuck pot roast trimmed of fat and cut in 1/2 -inch cubes
- 1/2 to 1 pound ground pork
- 2 onions large, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper large, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic large, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 16-ounce cans tomatoes whole
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1 4-ounce can mild green chilies chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin ground
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 16-ounce can kidney beans or pinto beans
In a Dutch oven or large skillet over high heat sauté beef, pork, onions, green pepper and garlic in oil for 10 minutes or until vegetables and meats are browned. Drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients except beans. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add beans and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer. Serve in warm bowls with shredded lettuce, grated cheese, a cruet of vinegar and saltine crackers, if desired.
To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. Thank you!