Saving Vegetable Scraps For Stock

Please don't forget to "Pin" this post, it helps get the word out about our site. Thank you!

The Hillbilly Housewife Recommends:

Craigslist Yard Sale

This guide gives you everything you need to know so you can avoid all the headaches of a traditional yard sale. You’ll find the tools to help you plan your sale in the right way – whether you’re selling one item or one hundred.

Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn in this comprehensive guide:

• How to sign up for a Craigslist account and create your first listing.
  • Where to find all sorts of treasures that you can sell on Craigslist.
  • Important safety tips to keep yourself and your loved ones safe while selling online.
  • Learn about some great tips to improve your listings, picking the right price and placing it in the category that will get you the best results.
  • How to tweak your listings to sell items fast and for a good price.
Along with this you’ll get these two bonuses absolutely free:
  • Bonus #1 – Home Inventory Checklists
  • Bonus #2 – Ebay Shopping Guide

Click on and order now to learn how you can turn your clutter into cash the easy way – on Craigslist.

Comments

1. You can also save your egg shells.
    Simply rinse them then let them dry overnight.
    In the morning toss them in the bag with the vegetables peels.

When you cook your stock simply add some vinegar to get the minerals out of the shells and into the stock.
    You can use 1/4 cup without affecting the taste.

2. Trophywife says:

Don’t forget to save the water you cook vegetables in as the base for the stock! It will keep for a few days in the fridge or can be frozen if a glass freezer/canning jar with a lid.

• The Hillbilly Housewife says:

Very good tip! This includes potato water, too, which can be used for non-clear type soups, like chowders. Thanks for this very valuable frugal, and nutritious tip.

3. Don’t forget you can use your potato water for breadmaking. Makes a wonderful product. I used my gallon bag of veggie scraps and made 8 cups stock that I used in a Butternut Squash and Coconut soup. I also used part of it in a really good bean and kale soup9(Ribolitta) from 101 cookbooks.com. Both soups were really good.

4. I save all end of celery,onions,carrots. Sometimes not so much on the peppers (can be overpowering)…If I use a Rotisserie Chicken…..I use the bones….sometimes I slow brown the bones in the oven….for more taste and color. I am widowed from a man that could have NO salt…..I had the butcher slice bones ( and save them frozen) then I slow browned them usually overnight…..then boiled them down……for the best broth/stock you have ever tasted.

5. Tiffany Martinez says:

I have been doing this for quite some time and YES it is a great idea! I hate to think of throwing away peelings or ends now! I don’t remember where I read to do this at, but I am sure l glad I did!

6. My mother taught us to always save the last little bit of veggie juice from any dish that you’ve made. She kept a large container in the freezer and would just add to it. It would get a very interesting “striped” effect. When it was full, she would brown a pot roast and we’d have that for dinner. Then with the roast broth and scraps, she would combine with the veggie stock base, some frozen veggies & any leftovers we had on hand + some tomato sauce, onions and cook on low all day. Makes some great vegetable beef soup. You can stretch it further with rice or pasta. Whenever we had friends over they enjoyed eating this. It never exactly tastes the same twice in a row.

• Elaine Price says:

wow! that sounds wonderful … what a great idea! i bet mommas cooking was love by lots :)

7. Laura Sibert says:

I’ve just started doing this. Can you save any raw veggies? What about salad veggies? I put some left-over salad (no dressing) in my freezer bag. Should I take it out?

• For the most part, I just save onions, carrots and celery but if you were making a vegetable stock then, yes, I think you could use other vegetables as well.

8. After making the stock we feed the remains to the chickens. Before, chickens it went into the compost pile.

9. How long do you cook the stock? I’m not home at one big chunk of time. Can I use a crockpot to make stock. I’ve never heard of doing this and it sounds great!

10. Trophywife says:

Stephanie, that is a great question and one which we experienced frugal cooks just “know”. You cook it until it is done. This answer doesn’t do it for you does it? Well, that is the old-fshioned answer my grandmother would have given me if I had asked and probably I did! By all means do it in the crock pot – on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. You can get it ready to go and put it in the fridge until you want to start it then add the water and let it go overnight on low. Strain through cheesecloth, or an old, clean cotton or linen towel (not terrycloth). Throw the peelings etc out or put them in the compost and freeze the liquid for later use in whatever size container you would use for your size family or style of cooking.

• CAN YOU PUT THIS BROTH UP BY CANNING IT, IF SO DO YOU HAVE ANY DIRECTIONS TO SPEAK OF

• joyce pheil says:

Yes,, you can “can” veg. and meat broth annd meats. I do it all the time. You have to use a pressure canner. A “water bath canner” will not work for low acid foods. Google “cooperative extension pressure canner directions and recipes”. You will find lots of information. The Cooperative Extension offices test the recipes and will give you the “safe” directions for preserving foods. Most counties have a cooperative extension office. They usually have a state or college name in front. If you can’t find the number, call your local County Agent. They are usually in the same building. They have a book you can buy that has recipes and directions on how to can, freeze, and dehydrate foods. I have used mine for years. Pressure canning is a great way to save foods. Learn and enjoy!

11. Stephanie says:

What vegetables are NOT suitable for this? what about salad veggies? Sometimes I have access to veggies that others have allowed to go bad… If there is no mold on it, can those work?

12. Laura, I cook salad greens before they can go bad and use them as a cooked vegetable. Usually I have the greens that are darker colors. I cooked some the other day and put some fried mushrooms with them and a little salsa on top. I thought it was really good.

Stephanie, I would not cook salad vegetables that have started to go a little bad. I think I’ve tried that and it made my stomach upset. However, with other vegetables, you can cut the bad parts off and use what’s good.