- 1 cup dried red beans
- 4 cups water, (or more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco pepper sauce
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (or 1/4 cup onion flakes)
- 1 finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves chopped garlic (or a good dash of garlic powder)
- 1/2 pound spicy smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 cups diced ham
- salt and pepper to taste
Sort through your beans and add them to your crock pot along with the water. Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or until the beans are tender. If you prefer, you can also cook the beans on low overnight. Just increase the water to 5 cups.
Add the seasonings, vegetables and meat. Cook on low for another 4 hours or on high for 2 hours. You may need to add a little more water if the mixture gets to thick.
Serve with cooked white rice.
Ready to learn more about crockpot cooking? Get my Crockpot Cooking Made Simple ebook today and find out how you can work this into your meal plan, how to choose a good crockpot and most importantly how to convert your favorite recipes to work in a slow cooker.