Bread Machine Pizza Crust

• 1-1/4 cups water (plus 1 or 2 more tablespoons if necessary)
  • 3 tablespoons olive or other vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups  bread flour or all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Measure the ingredients into the bread pan in the order listed. Make a well in the flour and sprinkle the yeast into it. Set the machine to it’s Dough Cycle. After the dough has mixed a few minutes add a spoonful or two of water if the dough seems very dry. On my machine the Dough Cycle lasts 1-1/2 hours. The dough will be risen and puffy in the bread pan when it is done kneading and rising. Punch it down (with out hurting your fist on the paddle); and remove it from the pan. Knead it a few times to get it deflated properly. Divide the dough in half. Divide the dough in half. Let the dough halves rest for about 10 minutes to relax the gluten, making it easier to roll out. Press the dough into 2 – 14″ or 16″ pizza pans. I oil the pans a little first, but you don’t have to if you don’t want to.

Top the dough with your favorite sauce and pizza toppings. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. Cut each pan into 12 slices of pizza. Serve hot.

The Hillbilly Housewife Recommends

homemade-mixes-kindleHomemade Mixes – Make It Yourself and Save

Making your own mix from scratch rather than buying it in the store not only saves you money but also saves you from all the additives and preservatives that are put in the foods we buy.

Find out how easy it is to make your own seasonings, baking mixes, beverage mixes and more in this HBHW Kindle Cookbook.

The recipes include:

Fish Fry Coating Mix
Fruited Oatmeal Mix
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
Homemade Vanilla Chai Tea Mix

Articles From The Hillbilly Housewife

itstartswithfood

Starting Whole 30 – Wanna Join Us?

I had such high hopes  in January that this would be the year when I finally get healthy and lose a bunch of weight. Fast forward a few short weeks and I was back on my old unhealthy eating schedule. I was too busy, eating healthy was too expensive, the list of excuses could go […]

Making Ice Cream Without An Ice Cream Maker

How To Make Ice Cream Without An Ice Cream Maker

If you don’t have an ice cream maker, don’t fret.  You can make ice cream at home without the aid of either a hand-cranked machine or an electric ice cream maker. How?  All you need is a freezer, and a little muscle. Here’s how to do it. This will work with any ice cream recipe. […]

St. Peter Church - Merzig, Germany

The Trip To Germany

This week’s article is more of a personal blog post about our trip to Germany. I thought it would be fun to share a few pictures with you of my town, the grocery stores and a few sights around the area. I hope you’ll enjoy taking this little trip with me. Let’s start with the […]

Darn Good & Dang Tasty ebook

Darn Good & Dang Tasty – Healthy Food Does’t Have To Taste Bad

My friend Tracy from MomsinaBlog.com put together a wonderful new cookbook full of healthy recipes that taste great. I asked her to share her thoughts and inspiration for writing the book along with some recipes with you. Enjoy and don’t forget to check out Darn Good & Dang Tasty.  Oftentimes when we think of eating […]

Cast Iron Skillet

How To Season and Re-Season Cast Iron Cookware

The following is a small excerpt from “The Hillbilly Housewife’s Cast Iron Cookbook“. It’s the most frequent question I get about cooking with cast iron skillets.  Over time, cast iron cookware develops a thin protective coating known as “seasoning” from the natural fats and oils associated with the cooking process. This coating fills in all […]

Comments

1. says

Hi there!

My name’s Mitch. I’m not a frugal ‘woman’, but I do the cooking for my fiance and I. I like this website. It is well written and funny at times. I like the navagability of the page and the recipes look fantastic. I have had my mom’s old breadmaker sitting in the closet(s) for two years, and I’ve been wanting to make dough, but didn’t have the directions. I had a feeling most machine recipes would be similar, but you confirmed it for me and gave me a solid base to work from. Thank you so much, I’ll be recommending your site to anyone who needs a recipe for anything!

Sincerely,

Mitch Haugen
    27yr old MAN!

• Maria says

I tried the bread machine pizza dough and it is fantastic. My entire family loved it, and there are six of us. I also used the pizza sauce recipe and it is wonderful too. Now we have pizza every Friday night because it is so easy and economical to make, thanks to Hillbilly Housewife.

For toppings, we used turkey italian sausage, sold at Wal-Mart in the tube for $1, and black olives in a can, from Aldi’s for $1. We like cheese, so we used a lot of mozzarella as well.

Oh, I did add 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar to the pizza dough recipe, but otherwise, left everything the same. Can’t say enough how much we love this recipe.

• says

There is a trick I use to make the dough more chewy if you like the real taste and smell of NYC pizza. In the recipe you are required to add 4 cups of all purpose flour to the mix. This is where I change the recipe and use a hard durum flour called Semolina. It is used to make pasta noodles like spaghetti. The pizza parlors in New York City use semolina to make the crust more elastic and chewy. I use 3 cups of bread flour instead of all purpose flour, because it has more gluten in it and 1 cup of semolina flour. The gluten in the bread flour has more elasticity to it also and makes for a better pizza dough. After making a lot of pizza, I have come up with this combination. Lots of trial and errors lol. But this one is pretty tasty.
      P.S. I found the semolina at heath food stores. You may find it at you neighborhood grocery store also.

2. Marc Fishman says

My family loves this recipe. Recently we had a family birthday party and everyone raved about my pizza.
    Marc Fishman
    61 yr old man

3. Heather says

Jean, I have used this a few times and love it. It is a perfect basic crust. I’m making it again tonight actually. I told the kids we could buy a frozen pizza for dinner tonight, but they requested this instead!

4. jaime grimes says

This crust is amazing! My kids will not allow me to make frozen pizza or order delivery they only want my pizza with this crust. I have added herbs and garlic even cheese to the mix and it’s just wonderful! So easy! Can also vary the flour with parts of whole wheat. Definately a winner!

5. Diane says

This is an excellent crust recipe. I make homemade frozen pizzas on 12 inch Tupperware lids, cover with foil and stack in freezer. I’ve only tried this crust for fresh pizza, once I’ve made one from freezer I’ll post results.

• Diane says

I’ve tried freezing this and baking it two different ways. I make the pizzas on 12 inch tupperware lids–I spray them with nonstick cooking spray and roll the dough directly on the lid. After making the pizza, I cover it with heavy duty aluminum foil and freeze it. They stack nicely. When you want to bake it, you just pop the tupperware lid off the bottom and set it on the pan. One batch makes two pizzas and I’ll usually make six pizzas in a day and freeze them in a stack.

I baked it directly from frozen by putting it on a hot pizza brick sprinkled with cornmeal. Crust was thin and crispy. My daughter and I both prefer to let it thaw and rise a little first. I put it on the pizza brick and set it on top of the stove while the oven preheats. When it’s all thawed, and starting to puff up just a little, I put it in the oven. This isn’t quite as quick but was much more like restaurant pizza.

6. Tim says

I Haven’t tried this Recipie yet, Just found out the one that came with my Bread machine Definitely doesn’t….However Being Frugal I never use all the Sausage, Mushrooms etc. I’ve found if I fry up the Sausage, Onion, and Mushrooms and Add in a carton of top the tater it makes awesome “Stroganhoff” for over noodles, of if you want to be healthier Brown Rice. Tim
    P.S. Best way to make Brown Rice is in the oven! Package the leftovers in small containers and you have healthy sweet or savory snacks ready to go!

7. Katie says

So I tried freezing the pizza dough on a cookie sheet. It worked GREAT. froze it on a cookie sheet, then transfered to ziplock type bag. got 4 pizza crusts into one bag. tasted great!!

8. says

I have this in my bread machine now, sounds great. I added in Italian seasonings. I calculated the calories for this in My Fitness Pal account, and it is 88 calories per slice if you do make two pizzas with 12 slices each, and of course that doesn’t include your add ons.

I plan on make up a fresh tomato sauce to put on this with some leftover vegetables.

9. Heather says

We recently ran into a financial glitch & almost had our home foreclosed on. Thank God though we are going to save the house & survive! We used to order pizza on Friday nights. Money is tight so we are using what we have on hand. i followed the directions for pizza dough that came with my bread machine. My hubby & 5 yr old son both agree we are no longer ordering pizza out! So much better taste, texture. Requires a little more effort & time but it is worth it. 50 minutes on pizza dough cycle yields 2 pounds of dough, enough for 2 twelve inch pizzas. the topping combos are endless. each pizza is an experiment in pure fun!! Amazing what you can do with certain leftovers is all i can say. Thank you for your wonderful website. i love it & highly recommend it to all family & friends.

10. Heather F says

I use this recipe all the time. It is our “go to” pizza crust recipe. If you haven’t tried grilled pizza yet, this recipe works great. You can get about least five thin crusts out of this perfectly sized for the grill. Put it on the grill for about five minutes, flip it, top it, close the grill for another five minutes and enjoy!

11. Amy in Ohio says

I just found your website and I love it ! I would like to make up extra pizza dough & freeze it for the future since right now I’m just borrowing a friend’s bread machine. My question is: is it better to freeze the uncooked pizza dough in a ball or rolled out into a pan ? Thanks !

• The Hillbilly Housewife says

I’ll tell you what I like to do, Amy. I roll it out, bake it about half way (until it just starts to turn light brown, not golden brown), then cool it, wrap it tight, and freeze it. That way the pizza crust is all ready to go for the toppings. When you want to make a pizza, take out a crust, unwrap it and let it get room temperature on a rack, then top and bake as you wish.

You can freeze a ball of dough, but it will take time to thaw before you can unroll it. This works just fine if you have the time to let it reach room temperature before you make your pizza. Pre-baking the crust just speeds things up, which is nice if you don’t plan ahead far enough. Hope this helps.

Any other thoughts folks?

12. michelle says

I’m going to try this recipe today — I just got a bread machine for Xmas & have been searching for a pizza dough recipe. Is it possible to cut this in half to make just one?? Or is that not recommended? I’ve also read in other recipes that it’s better to bake the crust for 5 minutes or so, then add the toppings & bake for 20 minutes. Your thoughts? Can you tell I’m nervous? LOL — bread is one thing, pizza dough is quite another!

13. michelle says

Ok, this did not work for me. Obviously I did something wrong because it worked for everyone else. The top was done but the crust was still raw when I baked it. Are you supposed to bake the crust first, then add the toppings & bake again? I ended up throwing the whole thing out :(

• Mike says

Yes, par-baking the crust works wonders. Have done this many times and it helps to avoid the doughy, uncooked crust syndrome. I usually bake around 8 mintues (varies by oven temperature), remove from the oven and add our favorite toppings, and return to the oven to finish baking. Also, do not add raw sausage as a topping. There are ways to bake a pizza using raw meats, but unless you have the experience the safe way at home is to cook your sausage in a skillet first. Hope this helps.

14. Deedee says

This is the first pizza recipe I ever tried, and as far as we’re concerned – the last! We loved it! I don’t think we’ll ever use another. Loved the pizza sauce recipe, too!

15. Tina says

Help! My Dad bought me a Sunbeam bread machine for my birthday. I have tried several different pizza dough recipes and they come out so elastic that every time I try to roll it out it snaps back. Dough seems sticky to me. What should the dough feel like…barely sticky??

16. Ashley says

I use this dough recipe to make homemade pizza lunchables for my two school aged kids. They love it better than the store bought. Thanks for sharing your recipes with us!

17. Jessica W says

I made this recipe a couple of months ago with great results. I need to make about 8 batches of dough! Have you ever tried doubling or even tripling this recipe in your bread machine? Thanks!!