TVP and Bean Burrito Mix
- 1 cup plain or unflavored TVP granules
- 3 tablespoons dry onion
- 2 tablespoons dry bell pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
Combine the TVP and all of the other ingredients in a resealable plastic container. I like to use zip-lock bags. Label and Seal and the container. Store on the pantry shelf. This is enough for 1 package of mix. Make several at a time for the most convenience.
- 1 package TVP & Bean Burrito Mix
- 1-1/2 cups tap water
- 15 ounce can refried beans, or 2 cups cooked pinto beans, mashed with a fork or potato masher (they needn’t be smooth)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8 or 10 flour tortillas
In a skillet combine the Mix and tap water. Stir the mixture over medium heat until it boils. Reduce the heat to low, so the mixture only simmers. Add the refried beans, or mashed pinto beans and the oil. Simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes, or until it thickens up to a good consistency. Spread the filling onto heated tortillas. Add salsa, sour cream, cheese, sprouts, guacamole and anything else that suits your fancy. These are quite good, and very easy. Makes 4 or 5 servings.