This recipe was sent in by Hillbilly Housewife Newsletter subscriber Susan S.
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound dried Navy beans (rinsed and picked over)
- 2 cups diced lean cooked ham
- 1 cup finely chopped celery (we use the leaves too)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. salt (may need more to suit your taste)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add beans and boil gently 2 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand 1 hour. Pour all, including liquid, into a slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH all day until beans are very soft.