I know balancing caring for others with caring for ourselves has been a theme of mine all year long but it seems to be a struggle for most of us. However, if you don’t do something for yourself each and every day to take care of your body, mind, and spirit, you won’t be any good to anybody. Plain and simple.
So, if you are the unselfish ever-giving type person, consider this resolution one you are making for your family and not yourself. You should be taking “self-care” seriously.
Hopefully now, I’ve given even the most strident disbeliever an out and you will do something for yourself if it will benefit the family, yes? Okay.
Now, what can you do for yourself. Let’s review 10 of my favorite simple pleasures that I posted throughout the year.
1) Mommy Only Trip To The Library. I know you know where all the greatest kids books are and when all the cool programs for children are held each week. Now it’s time to take yourself to the library and treat yourself to some adult time. Click here to read how a little time at the library can be justified and scheduled.
2) Tea Time For One. Sipping a cup of tea is guaranteed to put you in a better state of mind. Depending on the tea or herbs involved, you’ll relax or invigorate your mind and body to get on with your day. Even the ritual, the preparation of the tea has soothing properties. Click on this link to read more about the benefits of having a little down time with a cup of tea.
3) Try A Healthy Diet. Sometimes the family isn’t interested in maintaining a healthy diet, but that doesn’t mean you have to follow suit. Feed yourself well and you’ll feel and look better. The rest of the family may notice the change and want to know how you did it. But, if they don’t, you still have the advantages of a nutritionally sound diet to keep you fit and feeling good. Click here to read more about the reasons you should eat right.
4) Spa Luxuries Without Leaving Home. It would be nice to spend the day at a luxury spa, but who’s got the time or the money? With just a few household and food products you can create a spa atmosphere in your own bathroom. Light the candles, mix up some aromatic potions, and enjoy some much deserved moments to yourself. You’ll emerge a new person… well, at least a more relaxed person! Click here to find recipes and tips for making your own homemade luxuries.
5) Snack On Roasted Almonds For A Nutritional Boost. If your day consists of snack attacks, replace those chips with almonds and enjoy the benefits of healthy snacking. Not only will you satisfy your hunger, but you’ll do so with healthy nutrition. Click here to read the benefits of snacking on almonds plus how to roast your own almonds perfectly to your liking.
6) Cozy Up With A Book. If you’ve been missing your old friend “a good book” lately, it’s time to get reacquainted. Find a quiet corner and start turning some pages. If you’re out of the loop and don’t know what book to choose, you can do a little catching up if you click right here.
7) Build Yourself A Backyard Oasis. When the weather starts to get warmer, and the nurseries start stocking flowering plants, it’s time to start plotting out a spot for yourself in the backyard. Pick a sunny or shady spot, depending on your weather and your temperament, and start raking, sweeping, and arranging your corner. Drag out a few chairs, tables, or whatever it takes to make you cozy. Then settle in and enjoy a few minutes each day to yourself. Click here to read some specifics about how to get started.
8) Dust Off Your Bike. Come summertime we all get our kids’ bikes ready to go, right? But, for some reason yours is still collecting dust in the corner of the garage. Drag that bike out and get it ready to go right along with the other ones. You deserve to peddle around the neighborhood, too! I guarantee when you climb on that bike you’ll feel like a kid again. You may even get addicted to riding your bike and want to make it a healthy habit! Read information about getting back on your bike by clicking here.
9) Good Reasons To Take A Nap. Many people deny themselves a nap when they most need one. But, studies prove that short naps can help reduce stress and illness. You’re not giving in to a weakness by napping. Far from it. You are listening to your body and taking care of yourself. Click here to check out the reasons why laying down for a few minutes may be the best thing you can do for yourself today.
10) Indulge In A Sweet Frothy Drink. After all that healthy food and exercise, you deserve a totally decadent treat. Who says taking care of yourself can’t include a few sweets? Click here to find the greatest, frothiest, creamiest, and most decadent smoothie drink I’ve come across in a long time!
If you do each of these ten things at least once or twice throughout the coming year, I guarantee you’ll start to see the wisdom in treating yourself as well as you treat everyone else. Then, maybe you will learn to take a moment each and every day to pamper yourself just a bit. Have a Happy and Healthy New Year filled with all sorts of Fuzzy Wuzzy Moments!